Monday, September 12, 2011

Religion

To kick off this collaborative collection of controversial concerns, let me address my own personal viewpoints on religion.




I am an atheist, though I dislike identifying myself as one simply due to how I perceive that many people attempt to pigeonhole the word "atheist" as a derogatory term when used by anyone who isn't. I am an extremely tolerant person, and in general I have no issues with the belief or worship of any omnipotent or metaphysical source or deity. Though as is the same with any organization, I always take issue with religion when they attempt to intrude upon basic individual rights (which most of the major religions do I fear).

One of my biggest pet peeves in regards to atheism is simply people thinking that I "know" there is a divine power, but simply choose not to acknowledge it, I am not in a school of "denial", but rather one of simply not believing. The truth of my "faith" however is a little more complex. I fully believe in the capacity and capability of there being a powerful source in the universe, something that of which has capabilities possibly unfathomable by humans (though I'm not generally one to cut humans short on the degree to which they can fathom). Instead my atheism takes on a form of simply not prescribing to the belief that there is some higher power from which I was specifically created for a purpose, of whom I owe some allegiance to, and which has prescribed rules by which to live by, this seems to be a wholly human concept to me, and I find little logic in believing that something omnipotent has need for such rigid human structures.



As for how I perceive others beliefs, I do not look upon them with scorn or derision. I don't laugh and point or attempt to "lead the misguided sheep away from the flock". I believe each person should make the decisions for their own life and nobody else should do that for them. I would not want a missionary attempting to bring me about to their religion, and I see no difference from an atheist attempting to convert a religious follower to a non-believer.

Granted I can talk about my own reasons for why I am an atheist and what I believe all day, but only to those genuinely curious to know, I get just as angry at the "Ranting Atheist Big Mouths" who attempt to take pot shots at religion from atop their clock towers just as much as I do towards religious extremists who believe the world's only option is their personal brand of conformity.

I will also admit freely to having a biased view of different religions, and tend to be less trusting or accepting of monotheistic religions than of polytheistic religions, and likewise less so of them than ritualistic religions (such as various forms of paganism). I just tend to find that when you look at the problems caused by religion, the more heinous ones tend to be attributed to branches like Islam, Judaism, and Christianity (Which I believe are all simply widely separated branches of the same origin religion told from different viewpoints), then to a lesser extend the polytheistic religions.



All in all when it comes to worship or rules for living, I prefer instead to admire and cherish the beauty of the Earth and the universe, which I believe to be a product of itself for itself, and not of any specific grand design, which I know many could argue with me til they are blue in the face, but this isn't presented as an invitation for argument, it is simply an introspective on what I choose to believe. As for living, I think that the most precious thing humans have is their own individual rights. I live by a simple creed that was passed down from my father: "One man's rights end where another begins." I don't need religion to tell me how to live my life whole and complete, and I respect everyone's right to believe in what they wish.

Remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together!


No comments:

Post a Comment